- Simple, rugged, stylish and reliable AM/FM radio with integrated flashlight and cell phone charger is ready anytime, anywhere. Great for the outdoors or emergency conditions.
- Never needs batteries. Choose between wind-up self charging, solar charging or external recharging options.
- Wind-up power converts your kinetic energy into stored electricity.
- Complete independence from wall power or batteries while ensuring sustainable access to information and entertainment.
- Mini USB input jack accommodates any external AC/DC to Mini USB charger.
- Earphone socket for private radio listening.
- Triple LED flashlight has optimized optics for a focused light beam and never burn out.
- One minute of wind-up time provides:
- 20 minutes of radio listening at normal volume.
- 30 minutes of flashlight use.
- LED charge level indicator informs you on the best speed for efficient wind-up charging.
- Can be wind-up charged at any time for continuous use.
- Internal Ni-MH battery can be fully charged from both the attached solar panel or an external charging adapter (not supplied) to provide:
- 12 hours of radio listening at normal volume.
- 16 hours of flashlight use.
- Unit will charge and play consecutively. In sunny conditions, the solar charger will play the radio and charge at near equal levels.
- Compact design is weatherproof and features a rubberized body and recessed control knobs for impact resistance and comfort.
- Built to last, this unit replaces the use of disposable batteries and grid powered electricity, thereby reducing the environmental impact. Save money!
- Color: Black.
- Dimensions: 2.3"h x 1.6"w x 4.9"l.
- Warranty: 2 years for defects in materials or workmanship.
- Product Weight: 8 oz.
About the Companion Integrated Radio Flashlight
The Freeplay Companion Radio promises assured listening, anytime, anywhere. This compact, robust radio boasts a rubberized body with recessed control knobs for impact resistance and comfort. Big on functionality, but small in size, the Companion is a radio, a flashlight and a cellphone charger that fits easily into your bag, your glove box or your drawer – ready when you need it, where you need it. The AM/FM radio has an earphone socket for personal listening. The flashlight has 3 LEDs with optics optimized for a focused light. The integrated cell phone charger means that you’ll never be out of touch because of dead batteries.
Offering a choice of self-charge, solar and external recharge power options, the Companion delivers complete independence from wall power or disposable batteries while ensuring sustainable access to information and entertainment. Freeplay’s patented self-charge technology means excellent reliability. A 1-minute wind gives you 20 minutes of radio listening at normal volume, or 30 minutes of light, and you can wind some more at any time for as much play time / shine time as you want. An LED charge level indicator tells you the best speed to wind.
In direct sunlight the Companion will charge itself and play continuously. The internal NiMH battery can be fully charged from either the solar panel or an external charging adapter (any standard mini-USB AC charger will do), to give 12 hours of play time (depending on volume), or 16 hours of shine time.
Designed as a companion for those who appreciate the security of a failsafe radio and who value independence from conventional power sources, the Companion is fun and convenient, anytime, anywhere.
- Green energy – a sustainable product that’s built to last.
- The Companion offers a real alternative to grid electricity or fossil fuels – never worry about buying, carrying or disposing of batteries again.
- When the battery runs down and you need to wind for power, the Freeplay self-charge mechanism converts your kinetic energy into stored electricity.
- Wind even when the radio’s playing or the flashlight’s shining to top up the battery at any time – never be left in the dark, miss the end of that song, the end of the game or that last item in the news report.
- Wind to put power into your cellphone even while your call is still in progress – never drop that call.
- The plastic molding and rubberized grip makes it easy to carry and use when the weather is cold.
- Compact, rugged and weatherproof, the Companion is perfect around the barbecue, inside your home, out camping or as a vital source of information during storms or blackouts.
- Rechargeable NiMH battery built in
- Solar panel
- Built-in crank means never running out of power
- Headphone socket for personal listening
- Bright flashlight with no bulbs to burn out
- Cellphone charger with Nokia charging cable
The integrated solar panel charges or plays the Companion in sunlight. If you leave it on the kitchen windowsill you may never need to charge it any other way.Self-Charge
The self-charge system offers maximum dependability and convenience so that you’re never let down by dead batteries. The winder can be cranked in both directions and the harder you crank, the more energy you create. A crank level LED indicates the optimum winding speed.External Charge
If you have a “mini-USB” AC adapter, you can charge your Companion from a wall outlet. Many newer cellphones and digital cameras use these, so you may already have one. Or you can charge from a computer's USB port, if you have a “USB-A-to-mini-B” cable. Or you can charge from a car’s cigarette-lighter socket, if you have a mini-USB car charger. The Companion is a radio, a flashlight, and a cellphone charger.Radio
The radio is AM and FM, and has a headphone socket. Flashlight
The optically optimized flashlight uses 3 LEDs to provide bright, efficient and dependable lighting for any situation. The LEDs don’t burn out.Cellphone Charger
The Companion comes with a standard Nokia charging cable. Crank the Companion to put power into your cellphone. (Cellphone charging doesn’t use the solar panel, nor any power that may be in the internal battery.)
Rubberized moldings, recessed control knobs, and superior materials and component design make the Companion impact-resistant and robust.
Power Source – Self-Charge
Direct drive spur gear transmission driving a high power 3-phase alternator with high efficiency 3 phase rectification.
- 6 pole pair of Zinc coated sintered Neodymium Iron Boron permanent magnets (N35H Grade).
- 3-phase winding.
- Skewed stator tooth faces to reduce cogging torque while retaining high efficiency.
- Stator laminations 0.5mm laminating steel to specification VM 350-50, double side insulated to Stabolit 20.
- Permanently lubricated sintered Oilite bush for long life.
- Stainless steel base plate for non-magnetism, corrosion resistance, and strength.
Transmission and Winder
- Spur gears are manufactured in dissimilar engineering polymers – glass filled PA6 (nylon) and POM (acetyl) for optimum gear tooth interface, low noise signature and extended life.
- Stainless steel shafts for extended life.
- Large winder knob for easy grip.
- Winder hub and bush are nylon and acetyl respectively for long life.
- Winder handle is high strength glass filled nylon.
Power Source – Solar Panel
5.5V, 30mA polycrystalline solar panel with epoxy encapsulation under a polycarbonate lens.
Power Source – External Charge
Mini-USB charging socket (5V, 100mA, 5 pin).
Charge rate: 10 hours – 100% capacity.
High conversion efficiency rechargeable NiMH 2/3 AAA cell 3.6V pack, 350 mAh capacity.
Fully charged battery: 12 hours (at normal volume).
60-second wind: 20 minutes (at normal volume).
1 hour solar exposure: 1 hour (at normal volume, radio off while charging).
Play time will vary depending on the volume setting.
Fully charged battery: 16 hours.
60-second wind: 30 minutes.
60-second wind: 2-3 minutes (varies depending on phone model, phone battery condition and signal strength).
FM: 88-108 MHz
AM: 500-1700 kHz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output: 0.4 Watt (max)
AM: Built in ferrite bar
- Thick walls with reinforcement for high structural and impact strength.
- Rubber gasket seal for water resistance.
- Rubberized panels for comfort and impact resistance.
- ABS with non-gloss finish for lasting durability.
- Ultra violet light (UV) stabilised for colour retention and stable mechanical properties.
- Cadmium and chlorine-free.
- Polycarbonate lens for optical clarity and impact resistance.
- Recessed volume and tuning control knobs for impact protection.
Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS)
Compliant with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive, governing the use of
- Lead (Pb)
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Hexavalent Chromium (Cr6+)
- Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB)
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE)
Height: 60 mm (2.3")
Length: 125 mm (4.9")
Depth: 42 mm (1.6")
Weight: 230 g (8 oz)
Q. Do I need to do anything before I use it?
A. For best results, the battery requires a conditioning charge before first use, or after long periods without use. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by fully charging the battery using the wall adapter (if you have one). The product can, however, be used immediately in the wind-up mode if required.
Q. How long will a fully charged battery retain its charge?
A. The battery will retain about 75% of its capacity after 1 month, 55% after 2 months, 40% after 3 months and 15% after 6 months.
Q. Can I over-wind the unit - does it ever stop you from winding?
A No, you cannot over-wind the internal mechanism. It consists of simple gearing which drives the alternator, providing power to the internal battery.
Q. Will I damage the product if I crank the handle in the opposite direction?
A. No, the winder handle can be cranked in both directions.
Q. Is the product waterproof?
A. No, it is not waterproof. It is splash proof and will work in rainy conditions.
Q. How strong does the sun have to be for the radio to play directly from the solar panel?
A. The radio requires direct sunlight to operate solely off the solar panel. If the solar panel is placed in direct sunlight while the radio is switched off, solar energy will gradually charge the battery.
Q. Can I leave it plugged in all the time?
A. Yes; the charging current is designed to be low enough to be non-damaging if left
on charge continuously. (Unplugging may extend the life of the battery, but note that repeated deep discharges will shorten it.)
Q. The battery doesn't hold a charge any more; do I need to replace it?
A. Rechargeable batteries deteriorate over time, especially if drained nearly completely (to extend the life of your battery, limit how often that happens). However, in many cases they can be "conditioned" back to life. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by letting the product run from the battery until it stops, and then, with the product turned off, fully charging it using the wall adapter.
Q. What is the Optimum Charge Level Indicator light?
A. The indicator light will only illuminate when you are winding the handle at the ideal speed to generate the ideal amount of energy.