- Solar Panel.
- Optimum Charge Level Indicator.
- AM/FM Band Selector.
- Tuning Control.
- Headphone Socket.
- DC Input.
- Volume and On/Off Control.
- Dial Scale Frequency Indicator.
- Winder Handle.
- LED Flashlight.
- Simple, rugged, stylish and reliable AM/FM radio with integrated flashlight is ready anytime, anywhere. Great for the outdoors or emergencies.
- Splash proof design, radio will work in rainy conditions.
- Finely geared mechanical tuning for accurate control.
- High performance speaker provides excellent sound quality with no distortion at high volumes.
- Earphone socket for personal listening.
- Integrated Flashlight uses an Ultra Bright 5mm LED to provide dependable light for everyday or emergency use.
- Self-sufficient, solar or wind-up power charges on-board rechargeable battery.
- LED charge indicator tells you the optimum winding speed.
- Rechargeable Battery: 3.6V NiMH battery pack.
- Three Recharging Power Supply Options
- Solar Panel - photovoltaic cell converts sunlight to electrical energy.
- Wind-Up - hand crank produces energy from AC alternator.
- AC/DC Adapter (not included) - use household electricity.
- Charging Time:
- AC/DC Adapter (not included) Charge Time: 24 hrs. after full discharge.
- Solar Panel - in direct sunlight, will charge and play radio simultaneously.
- Operating Time:
- Fully Charged - 25 hrs. normal volume.
- 30 Second Wind - 35 min. normal volume.
- Color: transparent blue.
- Dimensions: 4.4"h x 2.4"w x 7.3"l.
- Warranty: 2 years for defects in materials or workmanship.
- Product Weight: 1 lb, 8.5 oz.
About the EyeMax Radio Flashlight
The EyeMax radio delivers a fascinating new sensory dimension to radio listening. The crystal clear casing highlights the complex inner workings of the radio and engages the user in the science of converting human energy into pure listening pleasure. The EyeMax promises assured listening while boasting an integrated LED flashlight. Offering solar, self-charge, and external recharge power options, the EyeMax delivers complete independence from wall power or disposable batteries, ensuring sustainable access to entertainment, information and illumination. Freeplay’s patented self-charge technology means unparalleled playtime performance, and the compelling design makes the EyeMax a feature of your home or office. At normal volume, the EyeMax will play for approximately an hour per 1-minute wind, and can be wound more at any time for as much play time as you want. An LED charge level indicator tells you the best speed to wind. In direct sunlight the EyeMax will charge itself and play continuously– the internal Ni-MH battery can be fully charged from either the solar panel or the external charging adapter.
When fully charged the EyeMax will give 25 hours of playtime (at normal volume), and an earphone socket allows personal listening as desired. Although stylish and fun, the EyeMax does not compromise on robustness and quality, with mechanical components made from superior materials, specified to industrial standards for repeated use and long life. The Freeplay EyeMax invites participation in the eco-charge revolution – providing clean dependable access to entertainment, information and illumination anytime, anywhere.
- Green energy – a sustainable product that’s built to last. The power mechanism is tested to 500000 input cycles, and the internal battery is tested up to 10000 self-charge cycles – or over 5000 listening hours.
- The EyeMax offers a real alternative to grid electricity or fossil fuels, so you can feel cleaner about your nature experience. Never worry about buying, carrying or disposing of batteries again.
- When the battery runs down and you need to wind for power, the Freeplay self-charge mechanism converts over 74% of your kinetic energy into stored electricity.
- Wind while playing anytime to top up the power – never miss the end of that song, the end of the game or that last item in the news report.
- The integrated LED is a handy companion in blackouts, or even when checking your alarm clock at your bedside in the morning.
- A great conversation piece to teach your kids or grandkids about the value of green energy. The crystal clear casing clearly demonstrates how their own energy can provide them with entertainment, information and light.
The EyeMax's highly efficient and robust solar panel is powerful enough that, when exposed to sufficient sunlight, it will charge the batteries and drive the radio at the same time. Even when you're not using it, the radio will charge itself up if left in the sun.Self-Charge
Freeplay's patented self-charge mechanism is the world's most efficient human energy conversion system. The winder can be cranked in both directions and the harder you crank, the more energy you create. A crank level LED indicates the optimum winding speed, but the only limitation to how much energy you can create and store is you.AC
If you have a suitable AC adapter, you can plug the EyeMax into the wall (for both playing and charging). An AC adapter is not included, you can use any "mini-USB" AC adapter. Many newer cell phones and digital cameras use the same adapter, so you may already have one.Tuning
A finely geared mechanical tuning system ensures accurate control in selecting your preferred station. This ensures minimal backlash and superior selectivity.Volume
A high performance speaker ensures excellent sound quality with no distortion at high volumes. An earphone socket offers the added benefit of personal listening.
The Freeplay self-charge system is built around a custom designed, highly efficient alternator. The architecture of this patented system has been developed to maximize the ability of the user to convert human mechanical energy into stored electricity quickly and efficiently.
While the basis of Freeplay's superiority lies in the performance of this system, Freeplay has extended the engineering excellence to every aspect of this radio.
The winder handle is made from tough glass reinforced Nylon and is designed, along with the rubberized grips of the radio, for comfort and ease of use.
The transmission gear (gear train) is constructed to high manufacturing tolerances from glass reinforced Nylon and Acetyl – dissimilar engineering plastics that dramatically increase the life of the gear train. The transmission has undergone accelerated lifetime testing in excess of 500 000 cycles.
Under self-charge conditions the batteries receive a conditioning charge that negates the memory effect common to rechargeable batteries and similarly increases their useful life. Accelerated lifetime tests on the batteries in the Freeplay self-charge system have reflected no significant capacity loss after 10 000 crank charge cycles.
Coupled with Solar and Wall Charging facilities, Freeplay Self-Sufficient products are truly powered wherever you go – anytime, anywhere.Power sources
- Self-Charge: AC alternator driven by the crank via a transmission.
- Solar Panel: High-performance polycrystalline epoxy coated solar panel with 4.2V 52mA output.
- Rechargeable Battery: Ni-MH battery pack.
Fully charged battery: 25 hours (at normal volume).AC adapter
30-second wind: 30 minutes (at normal volume).
Play time will vary depending on the volume setting.
Charge rate: 24 hours – 100% capacity.Frequencies
AC adapter not included: use standard mini-USB AC adapter (5-pin, 5V, 500mA).
FM: 88-108 MHzSpeaker
AM (MW): 500-1700 kHz
Size: 66 mm (2.6 inches)Antenna
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output: 0.5 watt (max)
FM: TelescopicIntegrated flashlight
AM (MW): Built in ferrite bar
Ultra bright 5mm white LEDDimensions
Height: 112 mm (4.4")
Width: 60 mm (2.4")
Length: 186 mm (7.3")
Weight: 700 g (24.5 oz)
Q. How long should the radio play for?
A. With a fully charged battery the radio will play for approximately 25 hours on normal volume. A 30-second wind at 120 rpm will provide about 30 minutes of play time (normal volume).
Q. Do I need to do anything before I use it?
A. For best results, the battery requires a conditioning charge before first use, or after long periods without use. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by fully charging the battery using the wall adapter (if you have one). The product can, however, be used immediately in the wind-up mode if required.
Q. How long will a fully charged battery retain its charge?
A. The battery will retain about 75% of its capacity after 1 month, 55% after 2 months, 40% after 3 months and 15% after 6 months.
Q. Can I over-wind the unit - does it ever stop you from winding?
A. No, you cannot over-wind the internal mechanism. It consists of simple gearing which drives the alternator, providing power to the internal battery.
Q. Will I damage the product if I crank the handle in the opposite direction?
A. No, the winder handle can be cranked in both directions.
Q. Is the product waterproof?
A. No, it is not waterproof. It is splash proof and will work in rainy conditions.
Q. How strong does the sun have to be for the radio to play directly from the solar panel?
A. The radio requires direct sunlight to operate solely off the solar panel. If the solar panel is placed in direct sunlight while the radio is switched off, solar energy will gradually charge the battery.
Q. How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
A. Using an AC adapter, it will take about 24 hours to fully charge the battery. Or when the solar panel is in direct sunlight and the radio is turned off, it will take about 16 hours. Or using the crank, it will take about 40 minutes, if you constantly wind at the optimum speed as indicated by the green charge level indicator.
Q. Can I leave it plugged in all the time?
A Yes; the charging current is designed to be low enough to be non-damaging if left
on charge continuously. (Unplugging may extend the life of the battery, but note that repeated deep discharges will shorten it.)
Q. The battery doesn't hold a charge any more; do I need to replace it?
A. Rechargeable batteries deteriorate over time, especially if drained nearly completely (to extend the life of your battery, limit how often that happens). However, in many cases they can be "conditioned" back to life. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by letting the product run from the battery until it stops, and then, with the product turned off, fully charging it using the wall adapter.