- Solar Panel.
- Optimum Charge Level Indicator.
- AM/FM Band Selector.
- Tuning Control.
- Headphone Socket.
- DC Input.
- Volume and On/Off Control.
- Dial Scale Frequency Indicator.
- Winder Handle.
- LED Flashlight.
- Weatherband Tuning.
- Weatherband Button.
- Simple, rugged, stylish and reliable AM/FM radio with integrated flashlight is ready anytime, anywhere. Great for the outdoors or emergencies.
- Splash proof design, radio will work in rainy conditions.
- Finely geared mechanical tuning for accurate control.
- High performance speaker provides excellent sound quality with no distortion at high volumes.
- Included cable allows you to use the Eyemax as a speaker system for your iPod or MP3 player.
- Earphone socket for personal listening.
- Weatherband receives the 7 US National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (USA)/ MSC (Canada) Frequencies.
- Integrated Flashlight uses an Ultra Bright 5mm LED to provide dependable light for everyday or emergency use.
- Self-sufficient, solar or wind-up power charges on-board rechargeable battery.
- LED charge indicator tells you the optimum winding speed.
- Rechargeable Battery: 3.6V NiMH battery pack.
- Three Recharging Power Supply Options
- Solar Panel - photovoltaic cell converts sunlight to electrical energy.
- Wind-Up - hand crank produces energy from AC alternator.
- AC/DC Adapter (not included) - use household electricity.
- Charging Time:
- AC/DC Adapter (not included) Charge Time: 24 hrs. after full discharge.
- Solar Panel - in direct sunlight, will charge and play radio simultaneously.
- Operating Time:
- Fully Charged - 25 hrs. normal volume.
- 30 Second Wind - 35 min. normal volume.
- Color: black rubberized.
- Dimensions: 4.4"h x 2.4"w x 7.3"l.
- Warranty: 2 years for defects in materials or workmanship.
- Product Weight: 1 lb, 8.5 oz.
About the Eyemax WB 2009
The Freeplay Eyemax Weather Band provides assured access to news, weather information and illumination whenever and wherever you need it. The black rubberized finish makes the Eyemax WB splash-proof, and the line-in and cable allow you to use the Eyemax WB as a speaker system for your iPod/MP3 player. This robust and dependable radio, with integrated LED flashlight, offers a choice of self-charge, solar and external recharge power options. The Eyemax WB delivers complete independence from wall power or disposable batteries, ensuring sustainable access to vital information and the peace of mind that you’ll never be without power. Freeplay’s patented self-charge technology means unparalleled playtime performance, and the compelling design makes the Eyemax WB a great everyday radio, as well as the perfect companion in emergencies. The Eyemax WB will play for approximately an hour at normal volume per 1-minute wind, and can be rewound at any time for as much playtime as you want.
An LED charge level indicator tells you the best speed to wind. In direct sunlight the Eyemax will charge itself and play continuously– the internal Ni-MH battery can be fully charged from both the solar panel and an external charging adapter.
The Eyemax will give 25 hours of playtime, depending on volume, when fully charged. The Eyemax WB does not compromise on robustness and quality with mechanical components made from superior materials, specified to industrial standards for repeated use and long life. The 7 NOAA (USA) / MSC (Canadian) channels have a separate tuning mechanism and are activated at the push of a button, allowing you to switch quickly and easily between conventional programming and important weather information without re-tuning. The Eyemax WB will provide clean, dependable access to music, news, weather information and illumination anytime, anywhere.
- Ideal as an everyday radio, iPod/MP3 player dock and an essential part of any preparedness kit. Always ready to provide vital information and illumination in any emergency.
- Black rubberized finish makes the Eyemax WB splash-proof and comfortable to grip.
- Green energy - a sustainable product that’s built to last. The power mechanism is tested to 500,000 input cycles, and the internal batteries are tested up to 10,000 self-charge cycles – or over 5000 listening hours.
- The Eyemax offers a real alternative to grid electricity or fossil fuels, so you can feel cleaner about your nature experience. Never worry about buying, carrying or disposing of batteries again.
- When your batteries run out and you need to wind for power, the Freeplay self-charge mechanism converts over 74% of your kinetic energy into stored electricity.
- Self-charge while playing anytime to top up the power – never miss the end of that song, the end of the game or that last item in the news report.
- The integrated LED is a vital source of light in blackouts, or just when checking your alarm clock at your bedside in the morning.
- Freeplay’s highly efficient and powerful self-charge system provides a conditioning charge to the internal batteries – which means that the Eyemax WB will always work, even after periods of long storage when other battery operated products will fail.
The Eyemax's highly efficient and robust solar panel is powerful enough that, when exposed to sufficient sunlight, it will charge the batteries and drive the radio at the same time. Even when you're not using it, the radio will charge itself up if left in the sun.
An AC adapter is not included, you can use any "mini-USB" AC adapter. Many newer cell phones and digital cameras use the same adapter, so you may already have one.
The self-charge mechanism is the world's most efficient human energy conversion system. The winder can be cranked in both directions and the harder you crank, the more energy you create. A crank level LED indicates the optimum winding speed, but the only limitation to how much energy you can create and store is you.
A finely geared mechanical tuning system ensures accurate control in selecting your preferred station. This ensures minimal backlash and superior selectivity.
A high performance speaker ensures excellent sound quality with no distortion at high volumes.
Line-in and Cable
A line-in socket and cable (provided) allow you to use the Eyemax WB as a speaker system for your iPod or mp3 player.
Weather Band Tuning
The EyeMax Weather Band covers the 7 NOAA/MSC channels that broadcast weather information.
The Freeplay self-charge system is built around a custom designed, highly efficient alternator. The architecture of this patented system has been developed to maximize the ability of the user to convert human mechanical energy into stored electricity quickly and efficiently.
While the basis of Freeplay's superiority lies in the performance of this system, Freeplay has extended the engineering excellence to every aspect of this radio.
The winder handle is made from tough glass reinforced Nylon and is designed, along with the rubberized grips of the radio, for comfort and ease of use.
The transmission gear (gear train) is constructed to high manufacturing tolerances from glass reinforced Nylon and Acetyl – dissimilar engineering plastics that dramatically increase the life of the gear train. The transmission has undergone accelerated lifetime testing in excess of 500000 cycles.
Under self-charge conditions the batteries receive a conditioning charge that negates the memory effect common to rechargeable batteries and similarly increases their useful life. Accelerated lifetime tests on the batteries in the Freeplay self-charge system have reflected no significant capacity loss after 10000 crank charge cycles.
Coupled with Solar and Wall Charging facilities, Freeplay Self-Sufficient products are truly powered wherever you go – anytime, anywhere.
- Self-Charge: AC alternator driven by the crank via a transmission.
- Solar Panel: High-performance polycrystalline epoxy coated solar panel with 4.2V 52mA output.
- Battery: Rechargeable Ni-MH battery pack.
Fully charged battery: 25 hours (at normal volume).
30-second wind: 35 minutes (at normal volume).
Playtime will vary depending on the volume setting.
Charge rate: 24 hours – 100% capacity.
AC adapter not included: use standard mini-USB AC adapter (5-pin, 5V, 500mA).
FM: 88-108 MHz
AM: 500-1700 kHz
Weather Band: 7 NOAA/MSC Channels
Size: 66 mm (2.6 inches)
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output: 0.5 watt (max)
AM: Built-in ferrite bar
Ultra bright 5mm white LED
Height: 112 mm (4.4")
Width: 60 mm (2.4")
Length: 186 mm (7.3")
Weight: 700 g (24.5 oz)
Q. How long should the radio play for?
A. With a fully charged battery the radio will play for approximately 25 hours on normal volume. A 30-second wind at 120 rpm will provide about 30 minutes of play time (normal volume).
Q. Do I need to do anything before I use it?
A. For best results, the battery requires a conditioning charge before first use, or after long periods without use. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by fully charging the battery using the wall adapter (if you have one). The product can, however, be used immediately in the wind-up mode if required.
Q. How long will a fully charged battery retain its charge?
A. The battery will retain about 75% of its capacity after 1 month, 55% after 2 months, 40% after 3 months and 15% after 6 months.
Q. Can I over-wind the unit - does it ever stop you from winding?
A. No, you cannot over-wind the internal mechanism. It consists of simple gearing which drives the alternator, providing power to the internal battery.
Q. Will I damage the product if I crank the handle in the opposite direction?
A. No, the winder handle can be cranked in both directions.
Q. Is the product waterproof?
A. No, it is not waterproof. It is splash proof and will work in rainy conditions.
Q. How strong does the sun have to be for the radio to play directly from the solar panel?
A. The radio requires direct sunlight to operate solely off the solar panel. If the solar panel is placed in direct sunlight while the radio is switched off, solar energy will gradually charge the battery.
Q. How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
A. Using an AC adapter, it will take about 24 hours to fully charge the battery. Or when the solar panel is in direct sunlight and the radio is turned off, it will take about 16 hours. Or using the crank, it will take about 40 minutes, if you constantly wind at the optimum speed as indicated by the green charge level indicator.
Q. Can I leave it plugged in all the time?
A Yes; the charging current is designed to be low enough to be non-damaging if left
on charge continuously. (Unplugging may extend the life of the battery, but note that repeated deep discharges will shorten it.)
Q. The battery doesn't hold a charge any more; do I need to replace it?
A. Rechargeable batteries deteriorate over time, especially if drained nearly completely (to extend the life of your battery, limit how often that happens). However, in many cases they can be "conditioned" back to life. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by letting the product run from the battery until it stops, and then, with the product turned off, fully charging it using the wall adapter.