- Winder Handle.
- Ultra-Bright LED Light Cluster.
- Metal Handle.
- Directional Single LED Lighting.
- DC Input Socket.
- Dimmer Dial.
- Power Switch.
- Simple, rugged, stylish and reliable light is ready anytime, anywhere. Table top design is great as a camping lantern or emergency room lighting.
- Splash proof design, lantern will work in rainy conditions.
- Articulated handle allows you to carry or hang the lantern.
- Two light bulb systems provides different light use levels - normal for directional lighting, Ultra-Bright for space illumination.
- Dimmer dial allows you to adjust the light level from full brightness to night light.
- Self-sufficient, wind-up power charges on-board rechargeable battery.
- A cluster of 7 Ultra Bright white 5mm LEDs provide high lighting performance and last up to 100,000 hrs. Single 10mm Ultra Bright LED for directional light.
- LED charge indicator tells you the optimum winding speed.
- Rechargeable Battery: 3.6V NiMH battery pack.
- AC/DC Adapter (not included) Charge Time: 12 - 15 hrs. after full discharge.
- Shine Time Cluster LEDs:
- Fully Charged - 70 hrs. night light.
- Fully Charged - 2 hrs. 45 min. max brightness.
- 60 Second Wind - 3 hrs. night light.
- 60 Second Wind - 6 min. max. brightness.
- Shine Time Single LED:
- Fully Charged - 40 hrs.
- 60 Second Wind - 1 hr.
- Color Options: green, yellow.
- Dimensions: 8"h x 2.9"w x 2.7"l.
- Warranty: 2 years for defects in materials or workmanship.
- Weight: 15.9 oz.
About the Indigo LED Lantern
Freeplay's Indigo Lantern is the answer to practically all portable lighting needs. And it's friendly to the environment.
The Indigo features a cluster of ultra-bright LEDs as the primary light source for space illumination, and also has a single-LED directional light source for use as a reading light or flashlight. In addition to wall recharging ability, you can power it yourself using the trusted Freeplay self-charge technology, so you'll never run out of power. That, combined with the reliability of ultra-bright white LEDs rated for 100,000 hours, makes the Indigo the most dependable lantern on the market. With the peace of mind of never needing to ever replace batteries or bulbs, you'll know that your Indigo will work whenever you need it, anytime, anywhere. Yet you'll have excellent brightness and shine time.
Ideal for everyday and emergency use, indoors and out, the Indigo puts the power in your hands. The self-charge system offers maximum dependability for those times when you can’t afford to be left in the dark by dead batteries. A quick wind (about 60 seconds) provides up to 2 hours of light on the lowest setting – and you can wind again at any time for as much shine-time as you want. An LED charge level indicator tells you the optimal winding speed.
Using the dimmer switch, the Indigo allows you to adjust the brightness of the lantern to your specific requirements, from maximum brightness to a night-light. This also allows you to maximize your shine time: the lower the brightness, the longer the shine.
The included reading light / flashlight is also an LED with excellent performance, delivering an hour of brilliant white light per 60-second wind.
The Indigo is rechargeable, either by winding or by a separately available AC adapter. When fully charged, the lantern provides up to 2 ½ hours of continuous ultra bright light, and 70 hours of night-light, using the LED cluster. Similarly the directional light will shine for up to 35 hours continuously.
The rechargeable battery means that there is no use of disposable batteries that are harmful to the environment. Not even for "spare power": you are the spare power.
Internal mechanical components are specified to industrial standards for repeated use and long life. A handle swings up to let you to carry or hang the lantern as required, and the sturdy rubber feet allow for placement on uneven surfaces.
With the Freeplay Indigo Lantern, you’ve got light anytime, anywhere.
- A sustainable outdoor solution that’s built to last. The power mechanism is tested to 500000 input cycles, and the LEDs are rated up to 100000 hours (that's 11 years of continuous use, 24 hours a day).
- The Indigo offers a real alternative to grid electricity or fossil fuels, so you can feel cleaner about your nature experience.
- When your batteries run out and you need to wind for power, the Freeplay self-charge mechanism converts over 74% of your kinetic energy into stored electricity.
- You can fly with our lantern – enabling a truly global camping or trekking lighting solution. No need to worry about spare batteries or canisters when you are traveling.
- The task light is ideal for reading at night, and an effective flashlight for walking around the campground. The task light focuses downwards to illuminate the ground or specific area.
- The Indigo is about the same height as a one litre/32 oz. Nalgene® water bottle, with a smaller diameter.
- It has a familiar form factor – but is more compact than other leading camping fossil-fuel based lanterns.
- The plastic molding makes it easy to carry and use in cold weather.
- The carry handle doubles as a hook for hanging in a tent or tree as a primary light source.
- A great lighting solution to teach your kids about the value of green energy – and show them how their own energy can provide them with all of their lighting needs.
- Lasts virtually forever.
- Rechargeable Ni-MH battery built in
- Built-in crank means never running out of power
- 7 ultra-bright LEDs which never need replacement
- Dimmer switch adjusts brightness from night light to ultra bright
- Includes a separate task light using a directional LED
- Up to 70 hours constant shine
The self-charge system offers maximum dependability for those times when you can't afford to be left in the dark by dead batteries. The winder can be cranked in both directions and the harder you crank, the more energy you create. A crank level LED indicates the optimum winding speed.
AC adapter not included. You can charge the Indigo from the wall, using any "mini-USB" AC adapter. Many newer cell phones and digital cameras use the same adapter, so you may already have one.LED
The Indigo uses LEDs for both space illumination and the task light. Their efficiency and durability offers excellent brightness and shine time – with the peace of mind of never needing to replace bulbs, ever.Lantern
Using the dimmer switch, the Indigo allows you to adjust the brightness of the lantern to your specific requirements – from Night Light to Ultra Bright.Task Light
An integrated task light offers excellent performance, delivering an hour of brilliant white light per 60 second wind – allowing you to use the Indigo as a reading light or flashlight as well as a lantern.
The Freeplay self-charge system is built around a custom designed, highly efficient alternator. The architecture of this patented system has been developed to maximize the ability of the user to convert human mechanical energy into stored electricity quickly and efficiently.
While the basis of Freeplay's superiority lies in the performance of this system, Freeplay has extended the engineering excellence to every aspect of the Indigo.
The winder handle is made from tough glass reinforced Nylon and is designed for comfort and ease of use.
An articulated handle lets you to carry or hang the lantern as required, and the sturdy rubber feet allow for placement on uneven surfaces.
The transmission (gear train) is constructed to high manufacturing tolerances from glass reinforced Nylon and Acetyl – dissimilar engineering plastics that dramatically increase the life of the gear train. The transmission has undergone accelerated lifetime testing in excess of 500000 cycles.
Under self-charge conditions the batteries receive a conditioning charge that negates the memory effect common to rechargeable batteries and similarly increases their useful life. Accelerated lifetime tests on the batteries in the Freeplay self-charge system have reflected no significant capacity loss after 10000 crank charge cycles.
The Indigo features a cluster of 7 ultra bright white 5mm LEDs as the primary light source for space illumination, and a second single LED directional light source. These offer bright white light but with significantly higher efficiency and lifetime (rated at up to 100000 hrs) than incandescent lamps.Self-Charge
AC alternator driven by the crank via a transmission.Rechargeable Battery
Rechargeable Ni-MH battery pack, 3.6V.Light Source
Cluster: 7 Ultra Bright white 5mm LEDs;Shine Time
Single LED: Ultra Bright white 10 mm LED.
- Cluster – Night Light: 70 hours (from a fully charged battery) or 2 hours (from a 60-second wind).
- Cluster – Maximum Bright: 2 ½ hours (from a fully charged battery) or 5 minutes (from a 60-second wind).
- Single LED: 35 hours (from a fully charged battery) or 1 hour (from a 60-second wind).
Not included. Use standard mini-USB AC adapter (5-pin, 5V, 500mA).Dimensions
Charge rate: 15 hours – 100% capacity.
Height: 205 mm (8")
Length: 70 mm (2.7")
Width: 75 mm (2.9")
Weight: 452 g (15.9 oz.)
Q. How long should my Indigo shine for?
A. Fully charged, the Indigo provides up to 2 ½ hours of continuous ultra bright light, and 70 hours of night light, using the LED cluster. Similarly, the integrated directional light will shine for up to 35 hours continuously when fully charged. A 60-second wind at 120 rpm will provide about 2 hours of shine time (on the lowest setting).
Q. Do I need to do anything before I use it?
A. For best results, the battery requires a conditioning charge before first use, or after long periods without use. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by fully charging the battery using the wall adapter (if you have one). The product can, however, be used immediately in the wind-up mode if required.
Q. How do I change the light bulb?
A. The light is an LED (light-emitting diode) with up to 100000 hours of useful life and never requires replacement.
Q. How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
A. Using an AC adapter, it will take about 15 hours to fully charge the battery.
Q. How long will a fully charged battery retain its charge?
A. The battery will retain about 75% of its capacity after 1 month, 55% after 2 months, 40% after 3 months and 15% after 6 months.
Q. Can I over-wind the unit - does it ever stop you from winding?
A. No, you cannot over-wind the internal mechanism. It consists of simple gearing which drives the alternator, providing power to the internal battery.
Q. Will I damage the product if I crank the handle in the opposite direction?
A. No, the winder handle can be cranked in both directions.
Q. Is the product waterproof?
A. No, it is not waterproof. It is splash proof and will work in rainy conditions.
Q. Can I leave it plugged in all the time?
A. Yes; the charging current is designed to be low enough to be non-damaging if left
on charge continuously. (Unplugging may extend the life of the battery, but note that repeated deep discharges will shorten it.)
Q. The battery doesn't hold a charge any more; do I need to replace it?
A. Rechargeable batteries deteriorate over time, especially if drained nearly completely (to extend the life of your battery, limit how often that happens). However, in many cases they can be "conditioned" back to life. This can be done by administering several vigorous 30-second wind cycles. Alternatively this can be done by letting the product run from the battery until it stops, and then, with the product turned off, fully charging it using the wall adapter.