- Identifies hundreds of types of Mold in counts per square centimeter (cts/m2).
- Used to sample a surface for a variety of Molds that may be proliferating or have settled out of the air.
- Do-It-Yourself Quick and Easy testing - no special training required.
- Includes the Bio-Scan 400 Sample Collection Device - same sampling methodology used by IAQ professionals.
- Complete Step-by-Step Instructions with Chain of Custody form.
- Lab analysis of the sample
- Lab report includes:
- Toll Free number to call with any questions on your results.
- Breakdown of Mold types found, amount and percentage of the total count of the sample.
- Color Graphs displaying relative amounts of Mold types found and a detailed breakdown of Fungal Elements / Spores and their relationship to normal levels
- Written explanations of each of the Mold types found.
- Healthy Home / Building Considerations sheet with recommendations for actions you can take that may help improve your indoor environment.
- Postage prepaid envelope for mailing your sample to the lab.
- No additional fees - all sampling, analysis and reporting costs included.
- Results in 3-5 days via email or mail after lab receives your sample.
Mold - one of the biological pollutants, Molds are microscopic Fungi that live on plant and animal matter. They produce tiny spores to reproduce similar to plants producing seeds. There are thousands of known species and can be single celled or multicellular.
Sources - Molds can be found almost anywhere, growing on virtually any substnace when moisture is present. Spores from the Mold are carried through the air indoors and out. When the Mold spores land on a damp spot indoors they begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on to survive. Mold can be seen growing on wood, paper, carpet, wallboard and food. Mold can not grow without water or moisture.
Health Effects - Molds have the potential to cause health problems. They produce Allergens, irritants and may produce potentially toxic substances called Mycotoxins. The inhalation or touching of Mold or Mold spores can cause allergic reactions such as irritation of the eyes, nose, throat and lungs, sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Individuals that have asthma and are allergic to Mold can have asthma attacks. Molds that produce toxic chemicals called Mycotoxins can create serious health effects such as mucous membrane irritation, skin rash, nausea, immune system suppression, acute or chronic liver damage, acute or chronic central nervous system damage, endocrine effects and cancer. Some compounds produced by Molds are volatile and are released directly into the air. These are known as Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs). Because these compounds often have strong and/or unpleasant odors, they can be the source of odors associated with Molds. Exposure to mVOCs from Molds has been linked to symptoms such as headaches, nasal irritation, dizziness, fatigue and nausea. Repeated or single exposure to Mold or Mold spores may cause previously non-sensitive individuals to become sensitive. Repeated exposure has the potential to increase sensitivity.
How it Works
The Building Health Check Mold Screen Test Kit is designed to collect Mold and Fungal Elements/Spores that settled out of the air onto a surface. This is a Do-It-Yourself test kit that requires no special training. The user performs the test and sends the test sample in a postage prepaid envelope to an accredited Laboratory for analysis. A full scan of the Mold Screen Test Kit with microscopic techniques provides valuable information both qualitative and quantitative on the collected specimens. Once the analysis is complete, a test report is sent to the customer in 3-5 days and provides levels of the results relative to normal levels. A Healthy Home / Building Considerations sheet is included with recommendations on actions you can take that may help improve your indoor environment if elevated levels of pollutants are found. The Mold Screen Test Kit kit is ideal for indoor environmental investigation, allergy sufferers, asthma patients, clean room evaluations, etc.
Test Sampling Procedure
Remove plastic case containing Bio-Scan 400 test strip from enclosed envelope and open tamper resistant seal using scissors.
Remove the Bio-Scan 400 test strip from the plastic case. Select a surface area of concern to be tested, such as Tabletop, Wall, Ventilation Supply Vent, Ductwork, Air Handler, etc. for a Bio-Scan 400 surface sample.
Hold the left side of the Bio-Scan 400 and peel the white backing paper to expose the adhesive side of the red grid area.
Important: Do not touch the adhesive side of the red grid.
Gently place the sticky side of the red grid against the surface you wish to test.
Gently reseal the Bio-Scan 400 back onto the white backing paper.
Place the Bio-Scan 400 sample back in the plastic case. Complete the Chain of Custody card, filling out all information in black ink. Be sure to record the sample location and the surface the sample was collected from.
Place the Bio-Scan 400 sample and Chain of Custody card in the postage prepaid envelope and mail it to the laboratory for analysis.
Chain of Custody Form
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mold?
Mold can be defined as a conspicuous mass of filamentous structure, which possess both vegetative (hyphae) as well as reproductive (fruiting body) units. Fungi are identified as a causal organism of "Mold". Not all fungi can cause Mold; however, certain fungi have the ability to form Mold and is often referred to as "filamentous fungi."
Are Molds Toxic?
Certain Molds can cause potential health problems and are allergenic in nature, while some others can produce potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Stachybotrys chartarum and Aspergillus niger are two commonly occurring fungi, especially in indoor environments. Some species of these two Molds are listed among the potential allergic/toxic fungi. Therefore, it is essential to test for these two types of fungi in order to confirm their identity.
Can Mold cause health problems?
Yes. Certain Molds are capable of causing health problems. Some common health problems due to Mold exposure include, but are not limited to, asthma, allergic reactions, eczema, mycoses, dermatophytoses, and opportunistic infectious and other pathogenic diseases. Some common symptoms of Mold exposure include irritation/infection of the skin, eyes, nose, throat and lungs, fever, headaches, pain, vomiting, skin lesions, inflammation and accumulation of tissues, immune system suppression, acute or chronic central nervous system damage, endocrine effects, etc. These effects depend on an individual’s sensitivity and their immune response.
I don’t see any Mold growing anywhere, could it be hidden?
Yes Mold can be difficult to locate and may be hidden. The most common indoor areas of Mold growth include, but are not limited to, the backside of drywall, wallpaper and paneling, underneath carpets, behind furniture, or anywhere that moisture collects (look for water stains).
What does it mean if the test is positive? What should I do?
A positive test result means you have Mold at the sample location, at levels detectable with this test. Although there are as yet no federal or state limits on Mold or Mold spores, your risk of exposure to these Molds and their potential for producing harmful toxins will be greatly reduced by removing them. You should confirm the results and gain advice on what should be done to correct the problem by contacting an experienced indoor air quality, environmental or remediation professional.
What does a negative test result mean? Should I do anything else?
A negative result means that, in the sample taken, Mold are not detectable within the limits of this test. You may have them in lower concentrations or in other locations. All Molds can gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, save money and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating Mold growth.
How do I get rid of Mold?
The EPA recommends cleaning surface Mold with water and a mild detergent, followed by a 10% bleach solution. If using a disinfectant, bleach or strong cleaning solution, you should use gloves made from natural rubber, neoprene, nitrile, polyurethane or PVC.
Removal and clean-up may best be performed by a professional. For advice on cleaning tips and when to call in a professional, refer to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Publication "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture and Your Home."
What if the Mold comes back, or we keep having health problems?
If Mold comes back, or appears in other areas, you have not fixed the moisture problems. You should promptly seek professional help in identifying and correcting the problem. If people living or working in the building continue to have health complaints or physical symptoms, you should contact a health professional with experience in Mold issues, especially a physician practicing in environmental medicine.
Are the results of this test reliable and accurate?
If you follow the instructions carefully, the results are very reliable and accurate. However, as with any screening test, it is always advisable to confirm the results through another testing method or by contacting an indoor air quality or environmental laboratory with experience in treating Mold issues.